Dr. Michael Bohley, a premier Portland plastic surgeon, provides liposuction (also known as lipoplasty or simply lipo to remove stubborn pockets of fat from beneath the skin. During liposuction surgery, Dr. Bohley utilizes a thin, hollow tube called a cannula to eliminate excess fat from the midsection, back, thighs, hips, buttocks, upper arms, neck or chin area.
Although liposuction is an effective way to sculpt many areas of the body, it is not intended as a means for massive weight loss. Patients who need to lose a major amount of weight or have excess skin that has lost its elasticity may not be suitable candidates for liposuction surgery. Honestly answering the questions below will help you determine whether or not you are a good candidate for liposuction.
- Are you in good overall physical and mental health?
- Are you either slightly above or at your ideal body weight?
- Are you at a body weight that you are confident you can maintain after liposuction?
- Do you practice good eating and exercise habits, but still have stubborn pockets of fat in certain areas?
- Does your skin have sound elasticity?
- Do you want to pursue liposuction for personal reasons, not someone else’s?
If you answered yes to all the questions above, you are most likely a suitable candidate for liposuction surgery.
Who Is Not a Good Candidate for Lipo?
In contrast, the following people are not suitable liposuction candidates:
- Those who are substantially overweight and/or suffer from obesity
- Those who are not physically active and do not intend on becoming physically active
- Those with skin that has lost its elasticity due to major weight loss, pregnancy or other factors
- Those who are pregnant
- Those who have unrealistic expectations for the outcome of liposuction surgery
To schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Bohley to find out if you are a suitable liposuction candidate or if you may benefit from a different surgical procedure, please contact Dr. Bohley Cosmetic Surgery by calling (503) 253-3458 today.